Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Goal Setting

This semester, your coaches won't be doing a whole lot of telling you what you need to be doing. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, so it's important for each one of you to figure out for yourself what you should be doing.

What do you want?

These are your outcome goals. Things like "I want to make the A team," "I want to stay healthy," "I want to be able to throw a low-release IO forehand," and "I want to get really jacked and tan." It's helpful to have a list of these goals written down somewhere and keep them in the back of your mind, but they don't provide you with much guidance on what you should do on a daily basis.

What behaviors are associated with your goals?

These are your process goals. These are the things you have complete control over. Some examples are things like "lift three times a week," "don't come to practice hungover," "foam roll every day," and "throw for X hours a week outside of practice." Make a list of these goals, stick a copy on your wall, and carry a copy in you wallet.

As an example. here are my current process goals:
  1. No off days.
  2. Post something every day on my workout blog.
  3. Foam roll/SMR every day.
  4. Record everything I eat (using Fitday).

No comments:

Post a Comment